THE SAINT ALEXANDER NEVSKY "LAVRA" CENTRAL ENTRANCE

The enclosure of the monastic complex delimits a broad semicircle on Alexander Nevsky Square at the end of the Nevskiy Prospekt. On the arched central entrance over the monastery gates is Church of the Holy Mother of God erected in 1783-1785 to Ivan Starov's designs. Two monumental cemeteries lie to the left and the right of the main entrance.