THE STRELKA COMPLEX ON VASILEVSKY ISLAND

Strelka: this is the name, which literally means "arrow" given in Saint Petersburg to the tongue of land at the far eastern tip of Vasilevsky Island, the largest of the islands at the mouth of the Neva. This point that divides the river into two arms (the Bolshaya [Great] Neva to the south and the Malaya [Small] Neva to the north), was the center of commerce in Saint Petersburg; from the 1730's until the 1880's the city's port was located here.