THE FILED OF MARS

The opening pages of the history of Saint Petersburg are inextricably linked to the Peter and Paul Fortress, since the city was edified on the right bank of the Neva, under wartime fire, in the shadow of the fortified walls. As the Russian troops met with more and more success, the left bank, called the "Moscow area," was also built up. This complex, which began to take form after 1710, is one of the city's largest and includes the green Summer and Mikhailovsky Gardens, the solemn Field of Man Square, and a series of splendid monuments to form a great single historical and artistic unit.